Thursday, March 22, 2018

Pintando en Guatemla





These photos are the length of the parque central in El Estor, Guatemala, where I lived for 9 months working for Save The Children International.  I was assigned there through a program called ArtCorps, which is similar to the Peace Corps but with the idea of sending artists to help non-profits further their message through creative means.  
I worked in the town of El Estor, on the edge of Lago Izabal, putting together a monthly magazine about human rights with teens and also got them involved in this mural, which the mayor approved in the town's center.   I went to the school and we talked about what they wanted to see.  The ideas incorporated human rights and cultural appreciation.  I took all their drawings and composed them into one long cohesive design and then we got to work.  Many people came to watch the process, of all ages, and I often asked them to join in.  If they were hesitant I would outline an area and ask, "Can you paint this area green for me?"  A defined job gave them the confidence to say yes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment