Thursday, October 14, 2010

Slowing down, focusing on family

I have been doing some soul searching recently. Thinking about my life and my priorities. First and foremost I am a mom and a wife. Family comes first. But I need to remind myself of that, as I start to get more and more involved in activities.

With Lupe we go to Parent Particpation classes on Tuesdays, and often Boo Boos on Wednesdays, Library on Thursdays, as well as play dates with friends and the list goes on. I also volunteer to do a Library Story HOur once a month, work 8 hours a week for WIC, am in the middle of a two month class for youth at SLO Classical Academy. And I have UpcycleSLO, with a craft sale to plan (and make my own crafts!) and a workshop at the Women's Shelter to plan, wondering if I have time to help with the next Swap-o-rama-rama. And we want to join the gym. And there are 4 grandparents in town we like to visit with. I have wanted to go to the Craft Brigade on Tuesdays (SLOMommies), the ICAN meeting. And then there's the possibility of another story hour at a cool new downtown store. And this blog! Does the list ever end?


Oh yeah, and I suppose I need to cook every day and sometimes need to clean the house, keep the garden alive.


I have always been an active person. When I left NYC after 6 years a friend said, Now who is going to call us up to go out to some cool cultural event? I love to do things, to particpate, to be part of my community. But I have to learn to set priorities, take part in fewer things, but commit fully to them. Being a mom is the fulfillment of my grandest dream, and I can't imagine a better family. I feel I need to be more fully present with my daughter. I am making kids clothes to sell, why don't I make more for her? I plan art classes in other places, why am I not getting more creative with Lupe at home?

I think alot of moms must experience this. This readjusting of life, where all of a sudden you have to think of what your family wants and needs, not just what you want and need.
So my goal is: focus on my family's health, and my family's creativity,commit to fewer things but do them well and with all my heart, and last but not least, go easy on myself.
And one more thing, I need someone to help learn to let go of one thing for every new thing I pick up at a garage sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment